— Support Men’s Health & Well-Being —
Sheds conduct three main categories of activity:
- Personal projects;
- Shed improvement projects;
- Community involvement projects.
Members will be welcome to be involved in any or all of these according to their own capability or interest. Or just to come to the shed and have a chat with friendly guys as they go about their tasks or share a bit of company, either over a cuppa or working on a project.
Good health is based on many factors including feeling good about yourself, being productive and valuable to your community, connecting to friends and maintaining an active body and an active mind.
Becoming a member of a Men’s Shed gives a man that safe and busy environment where he can find many of these things in an atmosphere of old-fashioned mateship. And, importantly, there is no pressure. Men can just come and have a yarn and a cuppa if that is all they’re looking for.
Members of Men’s Sheds come from all walks of life – the bond that unites them is that they are men with time on their hands and they would like something meaningful to do with that time.
Some examples of activities conducted at Men’s Sheds around the country are:
- general woodwork and carpentry (make, restore & repair);
- basic welding;
- toy making;
- maintenance of tools & your home machinery;
- use of computers & the internet;
- card & board games;
- voluntary community projects (make, restore & repair);
- providing manpower to help other community organisations with their activities;
- information sessions on men’s health,
- restoring furniture & toys;
- guest speakers;
- growing vegetables;
- Shed planning & improvements;
- and of course good company & fellowship.
— As we Age it is vital to have a Role, Purpose
and a Contribution to make —